Thursday, July 7, 2011

CHAPTER 19-PENCILS,DIVIDERS AND SCISSORS

The victory against Al-saints school had made us instant hits in our school and I was even more popular now but for the right reasons. Before this happened people remembered our gang for always getting into trouble and being really mischievous. I was specifically remembered for getting into trouble where no one could ever imagine, it was like I was in love with trouble and kept chasing it.
It all started when I was in class 6 and we had geometry as a part of math. I never loved math but then our class teacher Miss Rajshree was an extremely patient, sweet, soft spoken lady who worked really hard on us and that’s the first and the last time I got 100 upon 100 in any exam. But that’s not what this story is about, this is about me being at my creative best with a divider and using it as something it was never meant to be.
Everyone who has ever gone to school must have done this prank, placing your pencil on the bench just before your mate is about to sit down, giving his bum a surprise injection, noticing his shocked reaction and laughing as loudly as you can. I decided I was going to take it to the next level by using the divider instead of the pencil.
I used to share the bench with a guy named Roopchandan back then and looking at him you would realize that the name was nothing but ironic or his parents hoping against hope that someday he may use some magical chandan and gain some roop. I had no beef with him but he wasn’t a guy you would get along with easily, because he was clumsy, smelt of hair oil and ate with both hands. We had compulsory Telugu as a subject up until then and our Telugu mam Mrs KP Rao’s sight was enough to make any one hate the language for life. She was stout, loud and strict.Not a single class ended without her hitting someone on the knuckles with a duster.
It was our last class for the day, KP Rao mam hadn’t beaten anyone up so for and the P.A system had just announced for all of us to stand up for our day end prayers. I thought of it a perfect opportunity for pulling my prank. So when all of us stood up for the prayers I placed the divider on the bench and started praying with everyone else but all I could think about was how funny it was going to be, but things did not go as I had imagined. As soon as the prayer was over the school bell rang and Roop just grabbed his bag to go home and wasn’t going to sit down so I put some pressure on his shoulders making sure he sat down on the divider but I may have applied a little too much force because when he got up he had my divider stuck to his ass and was holding his bum and running all over the class room shrieking with horror. I could see the pain on his face and tears rolling down his eyes. I tried to put up a brave face and laugh it off but KP Rao mam was gonna have none of it, she yelled for everyone to stay where the were, then slapped the smile off my face, maintaining her 100% record intact. But my punishment wasn’t over, she asked the class monitor to take me to the principal’s office and tell him what I had done and then pulled the divider from Roop’s bum and sent him to get emergency medical attention. I knew I was in big trouble.
Once at the principal’s office, he asked me what I was there for and when I told him the whole incident, all he asked me to do was close the door behind me, hand him his cane and smacked the shit out of me, all the while calling me names like raccoon, bandicoot and other things I did not know were part of the English language. My friends were standing outside the office and I think they might have heard the sounds of the whipping. My parents were called the next day to inform what I had done and I advised personal counseling with the school counselor for a week. But whatever my punishment was, it was much lighter than what Roop had to go through. He had to take TT injections, couldn’t come to school for a week because he couldn’t sit properly without discomfort and I am sure all his life he hasn’t been able to sit in a chair anywhere without checking if there was a divider or anything else placed there. From that day on, I was always remembered as the kid with the divider but four year later someone else decided it was time to steal my thunder by placing a scissor behind someone’s ass and cutting a vein and almost bleeding him to death. Even though the victim survived, the culprit was suspended from school for good. Thus giving all of us an important lesson, you can always learn from others mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment