Sunday, April 1, 2012

CHAPTER 20- THE FAREWELL

When you are growing up all you ever wanna do is finish your schooling so that you can get rid of the uniform, the long hours of school, the homework and the constant nagging at home. That day was slowly dawning upon us and we were all really excited. There wasn’t much to study as all we did was revision and all the teachers were a bit lenient to our mischief in class as they all knew we would only be there for another few days. Sometimes I wondered what they felt about the whole thing. Did they feel like the farmer whose crop that he has invested so much upon and harvested with his sweat and blood is cut and taken away from him and he will hardly ever see it again and a new crop comes along and he will have to start all over again? Or do they feel like an overworked, underpaid office clerk who is happy that the project given to him is finally over?
But I knew for sure that Tarun and Shah were really happy about it. With all the run ins they had had with the seniors and all the punishment they had taken from the teachers, end of school sounded like getting out of prison to them. The school cricket team had played their last match together a few weeks back and I had then realized that end of school isn’t as fun as it sounded way back when the school year started. My team mates weren’t my best friends but as soon as I realized that it was the last time I had played with all of them my heart felt a little heavy. My mind rushed back to all the fond memories I had with all my friends in school- the sharing of lunch, blaming each other in class for the mischief, making fart noises by pressing you hand against your armpit and accusing your neighbor, fighting with the seniors, cheating in class assignments, standing up for each other in a fist fight, the book cricket in a boring class, the giving nick names to teachers everything would be over soon. Now I was confused was I supposed to be happy or was I supposed to ask myself why did we grow up?
Last day of classes at school, we all filled each other’s autograph books and signed each other’s shirts and sprayed ink on them, we signed the desks in our classroom so that the guys who come after us to occupy those seats knew they have legendary boots to fill and then we all cried. Some silently and muffled like me and Tarun and others like Hardhik and Andy gave each other never ending bear hugs and cried their hearts out . Shah cried like a little girl and sobbed until his throat was dry and we had made a few hundred jokes about his manhood. We met everyone even the guys we knew were gonna be repeating next year and the toppers who throughout the year complained that we disturbed them. We all need variety in life to spice it up and keep it interesting and school life provides us with all the colors in a crayon box, some bright shiny and sparkly others not so prominent and loud but equally effective and important.
Life’s come a full circle and sometimes I reminisce about it when I look at the autograph book and see what everyone thought of me back then and most of them wrote-you are always smiling and cheerful, try and stay the same. I think most of them were just carried away by the emotion or were trying to be sweet but am pretty sure I’ve managed to stay the same.
Schools over, so is college most of us are married and yet we all call each other best friends and meet whenever we can. i guess I just got lucky and we’ve managed to stay together and add a lot more interesting chapters to my life but I don’t think everyone is that lucky. So make the most of your time with friends don’t let your little whims and ego trips ruin a great friendship. Like the marketing guys at aritel said-“kyuki hare k friend zaroori hota hai”

No comments:

Post a Comment